2023 Hawai’i History Day State Fair
Aloha Teachers and Students! Our 2023 State Fair will be on April 15, at Windward Community College, from 8:00 AM–2:30 PM.
For those students entering into that State Fair who are travelling from neighbor islands, travel funding is available. Please fill in our scholarship form, here. See the form here for more details.
For those entering into the State Fair, please see our State Fair guidelines.
See the agenda here for more detail on our State Fair. Please note that though the major times are set, there may be minor changes between this and the final version.
2023 District Fairs
Aloha Teachers and Students,
Happy New Year! Our 2023 Hawaiʻi History Day District Fairs are underway! Our District Fairs will be Hybrid this year. This means judging will be online, except for Performances. Interviews & Result Announcements will be in-person, and we are happy to announce that Nationals will be back in-person this year!
- Judging will be virtual for all categories except performances.
- All student interviews will be in person at the fairs.
- Results will be announced at each district fair.
- All project evaluations will be returned on Sunday, March 12th
KAUAʻI DISTRICT FAIR
SAT, FEB. 18, 2023, Kauaʻi Community College
WINDWARD DISTRICT FAIR
SAT, FEB. 18, 2023, King Intermediate School
- See our student projects from Windward here
- Click here to see the results of the Windward District Fair
MAUI DISTRICT FAIR
SAT, FEB. 25, 2023, University of Hawaiʻi, Maui College
- See our student projects from Maui here
- Click here to see the results of the Maui District Fair
- Click here to see our Community Awards for Maui District Fair
HAWAIʻI DISTRICT FAIR
SAT, FEB. 25, 2023, University of Hawaiʻi, Hilo
- See our student projects from Hawaiʻi here
- Click here to see the results of the Hawaiʻi District Fair
- Click here to see our Community Awards for Hawaiʻi District Fair
CENTRAL–LEEWARD DISTRICT FAIR
SAT, MAR. 4, 2023, Mililani High School
- See our student projects from Central here
- See our student projects from Leeward here
- Click here to see the results of the Central District Fair
- Click here to see the results of the Leeward District Fair
HONOLULU DISTRICT FAIR
SAT, MAR. 11, 2023, Chaminade University
- See our student projects from Honolulu here
- Click here to see the results of the Honolulu District Fair
How to Submit Your Hawaiʻi History Day Project
In preparation for our upcoming Virtual District and State Fairs, please see our Hawaiʻi History Day 2023 Entry Guidelines and Project Checklist. Please review these lists carefully to ensure that all parts of your project are complete for the upcoming fairs!
Click here for printable 2023 Hawaiʻi History Day Entry Guidelines
Click here for printable Project Submission Checklist
Calendar Update for 2023 District Fairs
Dear Hawaiʻi History Day teachers and students, please see our updated calendar for the 2023 District Fairs. You can download our calendar here.
Please note the changes:
- Windward and Hawai’i Island District Fairs have been moved up:
- Windward District Fair has been moved to Feb 18, and Hawai’i Island has been moved to Feb. 25.
- All District Fairs will take place before Spring Break
- All Project Evaluations will be returned on March 12
2022-2023 Hawaiʻi History Day Theme Resources
This year, the theme for History Day is “Frontiers in History: People, Places, Ideas.” For more details on the theme for this year, see the 2022–2023 theme description.
- Click here to access the 2022–2023 NHD History Day Theme Narrative
- Click here to access the 2022-2023 NHD History Day Theme Book
- 2023 Frontiers in History Graphic Organizer
2022-2023 ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi History Day Theme Resources
We are excited to release our theme resources for 2022–2023! See our Theme Narrative, translated into ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi, and a sample graphic organizer tool you can use!
- Click here to access the 2022–2023 NHD History Day Theme Narrative in ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi
- Click here to access our 2022–2023 Theme Graphic Organizer
See more resources on our ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi Resource page!
2023 Hawaiʻi–Specific Topics
Need topic ideas for your project? See this year’s list of project Hawai’i-specific project topics that connect to the theme Frontiers in History: People, Places, Ideas. You are not required to do Hawai’i-specific topics, but it is great to explore the history in our backyard!
Click for to see our Hawai’i-specific topic list.
2022-2023 NHD Theme Introduction Video
Frontiers in History: A Teacher’s Introduction with Dr. Kathleen Duval
For more resources, visit our Hawaiʻi History Day resource pages!